The Peter Sheehan Young Innovator Award has been created in the spirit of Dr. Peter Sheehan’s vision to transform the ways in which we develop scientific innovation for all those suffering with diabetes and the associated complications and diseases.
Through the wedding together of basic and clinical innovations, and by bringing the global diabetes and wound care communities together annually at the WoundHSI Conference, the Peter Sheehan Diabetes Care Foundation (PSDCF) and the WoundHSI Conference have and will continue to offer innovators, experimentalists, industry and clinical experts the opportunities for advancing the mission while sustaining the PSDCF vision.
The 2019 Peter Sheehan Young Innovator Award Competition will take place and be held in conjunction with the 17th Annual WoundHSI Conference, June 20-21, 2019, Apella at the Alexandria Center for Life Science in New York City.
Award Criteria and Instructions
- Applicants must be investigators early in their careers, including graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, clinical fellows or junior faculty (M.D., DPM, Ph.D., or the equivalent), who are conducting basic, translational or clinical research relating to amputation prevention or wound healing and are less than 5 years out of postgraduate training.
- Each applicant is permitted to submit one abstract per entry. The abstract is limited to one page (font size >11pt) including title, names of authors, affiliation, figures, and references.
- Applicant must be the first author on the abstract submitted to WoundHSI and MUST attend the WoundHSI Annual Meeting in person.
- Applicants are responsible for the cost of their travel, hotel, and meeting registration.
- Applicant must not have received this award in the last 5 years.
- A letter from your supervisor/mentor/program director, on their institutional letterhead is REQUIRED. This letter must include the applicant’s research focus, role in the abstract, and promise as a future investigator.
- This letter must also confirm the applicant is less than five years out of postgraduate training and include the name of the first author along with the title of the abstract.
- Posters are displayed on a 4’ high x 6’ wide bulletin board. Applicants must bring their own tacks or mounting supplies. Handouts can be distributed.
- All applicants will make a poster presentation during the competition on Thursday June 20th, 2019 beginning at 12:30pm. Poster set-up will begin at 7:30am on June 20th, 2019. Each applicant will have five minutes to make a poster presentation for the Jury.
- Jury will score the presentations based on originality, accuracy and innovation, presentation quality and the value proposition to the wound healing community, including science of wound repair, wound care and diabetic limb salvage, and its potential for industry advancement and commercialization.
Following Nominee Poster Presentations
- The three highest scoring poster presenters (Finalists) will each deliver a 15-minute presentation during a Lightning Podium Session on Friday morning, June 21st, 2019. Presentation length should be no more than 10 minutes with 5 minutes for questions and answers, for a total of 15 minutes.
- The Jury Committee then selects The Peter Sheehan Young Innovator and presents the award at the conclusion of the WoundHSI Conference.
- A first and second runner up are also recognized.
- Each finalist receives a cash award and certificate denoting their extraordinary accomplishment.
- No written critiques of presentations will be provided. Competitors are welcome to reach out to individual judges for feedback, after the competition.
|First Place: $1000||Second Place: $500||Third Place: $250|
Abstract Submission and Deadline
Submit abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 11:59pm, June 3, 2019